Eat locally and have fun
21.07.2010 25 °C
So guys you all came to Kathmandu I am sure with the lonely planet guide books and all those information where to go and what are there to do so as soon as you drop in the middle of thamel all those horns sounds gives you a message of great travel. With people on street telling you all the best plans about where to spend your money Kathmandu has always been so tourist friendly in the real sense, but can anyone really know what happens in thamel bunch of guys selling drugs, to pimps to salesman to guide everything is there I guess that’s the magic of thamel...and as of now the live bands are getting quieter with the new SP in town and everything shutting down at 11 what are we expecting to do in kathmandu.
Here I thought to write something as myself being living in here for 23 years i thought it will be nice to give my own personal experience in the issues of taste and preference of restaurant where to eat and where all the travelers that I met used to go. I always believe in enjoying locally by going to local bars and restaurant as its in many ways lot cheaper and lot more fun than realizing you spend a lot and oh my god the food was awaful!! It has happened to many of my friends..trust me Kathmandu is best served in local places…
With my experience in taste buds I came down with ten of the restaurant in thamel and Kathmandu Durbar Square I personally have been going to all of these places and have tasted what they have. So I have come down to a conclusion why waste your money when the cook dosent even cares what you eat has to be good. So I guarantee you that if you go to one of these place you will have good food and good prices.
1.Muktinath thakali Kitchen restaurant:-(just attached to funky buddha) so here it’s a small place but the Dal bhat(the normal mixture Rice, Curry, Pickle, Salad, Desert, that's like national food of Nepal) is not only cheap but also is so fantastic that you will do come here next time. I can tell you I have eaten in one of the Northfield Restaurant in Thamel which is supposed to be great and charged me 400 thrice the price I pay in here and was shit.
2. Small star restaurant:- ( its little bit out of thamel on tahity chowk where there is this little stupa . This place is famous for the local drink called Thongba when you go inside you can find all the kinds of people drinking thongba. Its just a big jar of millet that is fermented and you put some hot water on it and its just turns out to be alcohol... and the magic is you can refill it up till 4-5 times its taste like Japanese Saki try drinking this with the peanut sadheko its a mixture of peanuts with some lime juice, and onions tomatoes it just fantastic If you can get something like buff sekuwa its awesome with it.. And all this drink and snacks will cost you like just not much then 140rs.
3. Lumbini tandoori dhaba:- It’s like the franchise group in Kathmandu everywhere you go freak street to Thamel to Jamal to Patan you can find this dhaba (i.e traditionally named places where you can find the breads being baked with charcoal heating and foods like it’s made in home) so this place has awesome spinach(if you stay in freak street) otherwise try getting some aloo paratha(taste good in lunch with some onion tomato omelets awesome cost you like 30rs even in breakfast) and other things you can really try is panner curry (home made cheese curry try it with some bread).. or some chicken curry or if you get lucky in indian resturent anywhere in the world try butter chicken(and ask them not to put sweet in the curry its just something really tasty and try to order some rice with it not bread it just makes the taste much better.
4. Nepali Café:- It is the most centralized café in Thamel just opposite to KC’s resturent there is an ally just walk a while and you can find this place. Its famous for the lunch and has really really good food. The things I will ask you to try is momo, and Newari set (this is surprise and you have to try it).
5. Snow Man Café:- so here we come down to one of the most oldest and best café in freak street. This place is famous for cakes like black forest, chocolate cake it’s something like home you will just love it!!! You can find all the travelers going here for cakes and coffee shakes.
6.Yak Resturent:- This place has a personal touch its famous for also the hot beer thongba if you want to avoid the local places and try some good personal touch restaurant this place is really good for steaks and momo and peanut sadheko with varieties of Tibetan cuisines.
7. Freak Street Momo and stick fast food:-This is a new place in Freak Street on the way and has really nice food with momo everywhere in Kathmandu this can be a place for travelers in Freak Street to try some newari food I bet Kathmandu is not all about dal bhat and momo and tigerbams.
8. Hamro lumbini tandoori bhojanalaya:- One good place to eat in freak street it has lovely food. They prepare only vegetarian food here and it’s famous for spinach, naan and various curries items you can find here to eat.
9. Fire and ice: -All the places I have named here has good food with little price, but there are times you may feel like okay I am going to spend some money and meet some rich people in a nice restaurant so in this case you can choose this one, since it has a lovely pizza its best in town for the pizzas so If you intend to spend money why not try something really better.
10. N-Dome pub and restaurant:- On the center of thamel just next to the supermarket..Big place with super stars posters all around varieties of drinks and live bands and everything you can find here. Doesn’t fall on my category of cheap place I would say this place is the biggest bar in thamel in compare to area and size of the bar it has a style of its own its just opened so you may not find it but try to get it.
Happy travels to all.